Jack Reacher Review

       
          When I first heard that Tom Cruise was making a movie based on Lee Child's book series JACK REACHER I was intruiged even though I never nothing about Jack Reacher or had I read any of the books.
                     So I went to my local Library and picked up the first book in the series THE KILLING FLOOR and fell in love with the JACK REACHER book series. However, upon reading the books, I realized the movie had made an error in casting Jack Reacher. In the books, Jack is 6 foot 5 inches and weighs around 250 lbs.He is also somewhat scraggly. He IS NOT a 5 foot 7 inch, 180 pound pretty boy. I also began to understood why other Reacher fans were up in arms over the casting of Mr. Cruise. 1) Because he's Tom Cruise and 2)like I already mentioned, Mr.Cruise doesn't fit the character build.
My interest in seeing the movie diminished and instead, after the movie opened and played itself out in theaters,I had decided to wait to see the movie on DVD and read some of the books instead.

          Now that I have the background out of the way, I can move on to the movie itself.
          The movie is based on the ninth book in the Jack Reacher series entitled ONE SHOT.
          The movie version is mostly faithful to the book, with a couple of things left out of the novel that doesn't matter here. But the big difference when comparing the book to the movie is the third act. I had a problem with the book version because I felt it was anti-climatic with no suspense. The movie fixes that problem with much better results.
        The critical element of the movie is Tom Cruise himself. Even though he does not capture the physical aspect of the title character, he does capture everything else about him. He captures his attitude and reaction of the character to a tee. See it and decide for yourself, but leave your personal feelings for Tom at the door.
       On another note, this movie is an old school action movie like the Dirty Harry movies of the 70's. There are no over the top action set pieces like in Mission:Impossible 4. It's a solid character piece with a solid story.There is more to the character of Jack that the movie didn't explore and that's fine. It leaves something for a possible sequel to explore.
On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it an 8.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: DADDY'S HOME 2

Movie Review: WINCHESTER (PG-13)

LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK (4-25-18)