Movie Review: I, TONYA (2017)

                        Is I, TONYA a truthful account of the life of professional skater Tonya Harding and is the "incident" involving fellow skater Nancy Kerrigan exactly how it happened? I want to believe this portrayal of the life of Harding but I have a hard time giving myself completely to this "truth" because it is an account from several points of views and they are all either liars, abusers or cheats.
      Whether you believe this account of Tonya Harding's life or not, one thing you will have a hard time arguing with me is that this is an incredibly well-acted movie that is also well put together at the hands of Director Craig Gillespie.  His film reminds me of Martin Scorsese's mob masterpiece, Goodfellas(1990). Both films have a similar pacing and style that plunge the viewer into a world of dangerous, charismatic and unlikable people. The film features two amazing performances by Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding and Allison Janney as her mother, LaVona. Both are hard and tough as nails with foul mouths and an abusive nature. Add Sebastian Stan (the Captain America movies) as Tonya's also abusive husband Jeff Gillooly, Julianne Nicholson as Harding's longtime figure skating coach, Diane Rawlinson and Paul Walter Hauser as Shawn Eckhardt, all adding up to a strong supporting cast.
                     I, TONYA, Rated R,  can be an offensive no holds barred story about twisted people that say and do some unthinkable things making this a film that is not for everyone.That being said, it's a gripping and heartbreaking tale of abuse and people's perception of those thrust into the spotlight, either by their own hands or someone else's sick and twisted attempt at fame and notoriety.
                      I give I, TONYA an A-. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: DADDY'S HOME 2

Movie Review: WINCHESTER (PG-13)

LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK (4-25-18)